My Instagram

Powered by Blogger.

Berry


I opened the door and was immediately confused on how I should feel.  The little shop was more crowded than any time I had seen it.  I could only guess the age group.  Junior High?  High school?  I didn’t see any adults.   A youth group, maybe?

The door closed behind me and I felt the old familiar rush of anxiety that I was the center of attention as everyone took a look at me to size me up.  I’ve been here before, only I was much, much younger.  Only this time I could look them all in the eye.  To my surprise, I made no eye contact.  Was it always this way?  Everyone was in their own world, talking a storm with someone next to them.  I tried my best to make myself comfortable in the back of the room and observe.

Over the chatting heads in front of me, I could make out Sam behind the counter, in full throttle, making smoothies left and right, with enough wherewithals to charm whoever was next in line, calling their order and serving them with genuine good ol’ American customer service.

  I looked over top and around of the line ahead of me and couldn’t help but to feel something familiar, yet not the same.  It was almost like cafeteria time once again:  here I was, lunch money in hand, figuring out where I was going to sit for the next hour.

Sam served up the next person.  “Mary?  Berry Bew Breeze,” he exclaimed.
Some laughter followed.

“Mary?  Are you Mary?  Tell me, what’s the secret to life?” Sam inquired, with a semi-crazed look on his face that forced you to know he was having fun.

He, of course, was met with more giggles and jovial blessings.  I couldn’t help but to feel a pit of envy grow in my stomach.

Mary took her smoothie, all smiles and laughter.  She didn’t answer the question.  The expression on Sam’s face – though smiling and visibly sincere – left room for me to doubt his true feelings.  I could almost make out a certain sadness to his smile.  It was almost as if he looked like he had been robbed, or ignored of something that was due to him.  I felt his pain.  I, too, wanted to hear Mary’s response.

“What is the secret to life?”  I asked myself.  “What is the secret to life?”

A certain impulse rushed over me.  I felt the need to bulldoze my way to Mary and shake her by the shoulders.

“Give us your answer, little one!  What is the secret to life?!  Give us the answer!” I wanted to scream uncontrollably.  I would do it for me.  I would do it for Sam.  I would do it for humanity.

The cash register closed with a banging snap.  The line was empty.  It was already my turn.

No comments